Archives of Basic and Clinical Research
Original Article

Antibiotic Resistance of Staphylococcus aureus Strains Isolated from Wound Specimens of Patients Admitted to the Orthopedics and Traumatology Department of a Tertiary Care Hospital

1.

Department of Orthopedics, Erzincan Binali Yıldırım University, Faculty of Medicine, Erzincan, Türkiye

2.

Department of Medical Microbiology, Erzincan Binali Yıldırım University, Faculty of Medicine, Erzincan, Türkiye

3.

Department of Microbiology, Special Gözde İzmir Hospital, İzmir, Türkiye

4.

Department of Infectious Diseases, Erzincan Binali Yıldırım University, Faculty of Medicine, Erzincan, Türkiye

Arch Basic Clin Res 2023; 5: 350-354
DOI: 10.5152/ABCR.2023.22126
Read: 562 Downloads: 330 Published: 03 April 2023

Objective: Staphylococcus aureus is a critical infectious agent in orthopedics and traumatology clinics. Treatment of S. aureus infection is a problem, mainly due to the increased incidence of methicillin-resistant strains. This study aims to determine the antibiotic resistance of S. aureus strains isolated from wound samples of patients admitted to a tertiary care hospital’s orthopedics and traumatology clinic.

Methods: Patients admitted to our hospital’s orthopedics and traumatology clinic between January 2012 and November 2018 were included in this study and studied retrospectively. Participants in the study were required to have S. aureus strains present within their wounds. In addition to more traditional approaches, an automated microbiologic agent detection system known as VITEK® 2 Compact (bioMérieux, Marcy l’Etoile, France) was utilized in this study to identify S. aureus and determine its level of antibiotic resistance.

Results: S. aureus was identified in 64 out of 298 wound samples, with a detection rate of 21.5%. Fifty-one S. aureus strains (79.7% of the total) were taken from the inpatient clinic, and the remaining 13 (20.3%) were obtained from the outpatient clinic. S. aureus strains were categorized as either methicillin-resistant S. aureus positive (19 patients, 29.7%) or methicillin-susceptible S. aureus positive (45 patients, 70.3%), with the majority being methicillin-susceptible S. aureus positive.

Conclusion: We found out that among methicillin-resistant S. aureus positive patients, vancomycin, teicoplanin, linezolid, tigecycline, and daptomycin were effective antibiotic agents for the treatment. Also, methicillin-resistant S. aureus positive patients were resistant to penicillin, rifampicin, tetracycline, and erythromycin. This study detected methicillin resistance as a significant issue, and S. aureus strains antibiotic resistance in our study population was comparable to previous research.

Cite this article as: Gür V, Yapıcı F, Subaşı İÖ, et al. Antibiotic resistance of Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from wound specimens of patients admitted to the orthopedics and traumatology department of a tertiary care hospital. Arch Basic Clin Res., 2023;5(3):350-354.

Files
EISSN 2687-4482